To order a copy of Desperate Hope go here
From the back cover:
One of the toughest, most disorienting challenges life can throw at us is a diagnosis of breast cancer. Questions and fears race through our minds. Why me? Where is God? What will happen next?
From the shock of the diagnosis through the endless doctors’ appointments, from tough decisions about surgery and chemotherapy to plans for the family’s future, this book will be your spiritual companion. Desperate Hope gives you the opportunity to ask God the hard questions and see beyond the darkness ahead.
Barbara Milligan draws on her own experiences and her interviews with women in various stages of breast cancer. Each chapter gives a glimpse of what life with cancer is like. Here is encouragement, along with practical help, for breast cancer patients as well as for their families and friends.
As I read Barbara’s book in the midst of tests for a possible recurrence of my own breast cancer, I found her words showering my soul with peace and hope. What a gift!”
Joyce Landorf Heatherley, author and singer
Table of Contents:
- Turning to the God of Our Desperate Hope
- Responding to Feelings of Fear, Anxiety, and Sadness
- Responding to Feelings of Anger, Disappointment, and Guilt
- Receiving Help from Others
- Seeking God’s Wisdom about Treatment
- Facing Treatments and Their Side Effects
- Responding to Changes in Our Bodies
- Reaffirming Our Sexuality
- Keeping Our Relationships Intact
- Grieving Our Losses
- Readjusting to Normal Life
- Seeing Ourselves in New Ways
- Seeing Death in New Ways
- Seeing Our Relationships in New Ways
- Renewing Our Hope
- Epilogue: Experiencing God Today
- Appendix A: Finding Spiritual Support
- Appendix B: For Husbands: Reaffirming Your Wife’s Sexuality
- Appendix C: How Can I Help a Woman Who Has Cancer?
- Appendix D: Resources